Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Fried Cheerios and Chocolate Shakes: It's a Family Thing

When my brother Shawn and I were growing up, we had a fun meal we would have with our mom when our dad was out of town.  Fried Cheerios and Chocolate shakes.  Fried Cheerios?!?  I know, it sounds crazy, right?  But don't knock it until you've tried it!  My mom had a friend growing up whose family would make fried cheerios.  So she made them for Shawn and me, and now...the tradition continues:) 

This past weekend my mom and brother and I decided that we would have a fried cheerios and chocolate shake night.  Shawn's girlfriend Heather came too.  Don't worry, we invited my dad too, and don't worry, I made dinner for everyone (not just cheerios!).  Anyway, Dad decided not to participate in the cheerios and shakes, but the rest of us enjoyed them very much!  So here's how to make them:


You'll need the original Cheerios, butter, and a frying pan.  Melt the butter over medium/low heat, add in the cheerios (about 2 tablespoons of butter per cup of cheerios), and toss continually as they brown.  Make sure they get evenly coated with butter.  Watch carefully, they burn easily.  Once they've become toasted, serve warm!  Best with homemade chocolate shakes:)



Chocolate shake time:)

Shawn, Heather, and Bella

Elijah was a big fan of the fried cheerios

My Dad, Tom

Bella, me and my mom, Jody

Gotta love that grin!!

What fun food traditions do you have in your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment