Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Children's Seasonal Book Basket

Around here, we love books!  Both Bella and Elijah love to read stories, and we have so many children's books that it's hard to keep track of them all.  I've decided to start a little system with some of the books to try to get better use out of them.  I call it the 'Seasonal Book Basket'.  Catchy, huh?!  Okay, well maybe I'm not known for my catchphrases, but I try!  Anyway, I bought a small woven basket that fits several books inside.  I went through all of our kids books and sorted out some that are specific to a season or holiday.  I will keep all of these books separate from the kids' every day reading books that are in their individual bookshelves. I will display the seasonal books during their corresponding season in our seasonal book basket.  For example, right now I have 'Winter' books in our basket.  I'm hoping this way we get more use out of books that we don't read a lot otherwise, and a fun lesson about whatever season/holiday we are in.  I also like that these books are out on an end table in the living room, promoting more reading during the day. 

So far I have books for Winter, Easter, Spring, Summer, Fall/Harvest time/Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  I don't think we have any books about Independence Day yet, but it could be something to add. 


The books in our 'winter' basket right now are:
The Berenstain Bears Winter Wonderland by Jan and Mike Berenstain
Little Snowflake's Big Adventure by Steve Metzger
The Mitten by Jan Brett

Do you have any Season/Holiday specific books your kids really enjoy?  I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment