Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

10 Tricks of the (Mommy) Trade

Today, I have ten tricks of the trade (that is, the parenting trade) for you.  First off, I'm not pretending to be a mommy expert here.  Let's be clear-I make tons of mistakes and openly admit that.  However, I just thought it would be fun to share a few of the 'tricks' I've learned along the way that have worked with my kiddos!

1. Let your kids help in the garden (or grocery store) and in the kitchen.  I have found that my kids are much more likely to eat food they got to help pick out and/or prepare.  Plus it teaches them other skills too (like gardening, cooking, measuring, etc.).

Bella baking with Momma Aug '11

2. Be firm, but fair.  I can hear Matt's voice saying, 'Mommy's firm but fair'.  As parents, it's important to stick to something once you say it.  We've found that not giving in to something just because the child whines/begs for it tends to cut down on tantrums down the road.  I'm not saying this always works, but it's definitely worth it.  That being said, remember also that you have to pick your battles:)

3.  Have a fruit basket on the table.  I've had a basket of fruit on my table for the past few weeks, and my kids have been fruit maniacs!  They don't always like a lot of fruit, but they tend to want it at odd times of the day.  Having cuties, bananas, apples, and other fruits available and out where they see them seems to really encourage them to eat more fruit.  Score!

4. Routine is key.  At least for my kids.  We try to stick to routines when it comes to nap times, dinner schedules, and bed time.  Having a routine for our kids has made a huge difference for us.  For bedtime in particular, we try to stick to the same time every night (around 8pm for Elijah and 8:30pm for Bella), and each night we complete the same routine: brush our teeth, read a story, say our prayers, and say goodnight.  The kids know the routine and it is a comfort to them.  They are both great sleepers and I think our routine is a big part of that. 
Bedtime story, Christmas Eve '12


5. For a toddler aged child, give them two options rather than one demand.  Many battles have been avoided when we give Bella the opportunity to pick an option rather than obey a demand.  For example, instead of, "You have to pick up your toys right now!", Try, "Do you want to pick up your dolls first, or the legos first?"  This helps fulfill their need for independence but still gets to the point you were trying for. 


6. Have books around the house to promote daily reading.  My kids and I love to read, but sometimes we forget to take time to do it.  Try a book basket (check out my post here), to help promote more reading.

7. Be silly with your kids.  Don't worry, they won't make fun of you.  In fact, they will probably think that you are awesome!  Sometimes we get so caught up in all of our obligations and work of being a parent that we forget to take a moment and just play and have fun with our kids.  So here's your chance...make up songs, dance, build forts, jump around, play games, wrestle-be silly:)
Family Snowball Fight Fun Feb '13

8. Pack snacks.  Anytime you go out, having a snack to offer a tired, cranky, hungry child can be the difference between a great day and a horrible one.  Trust me, I've been there.

9. Take time to pray. Pray for your kids, pray about your kids, pray for wisdom to be a good parent, pray for strength to get through the day, pray for patience, forgiveness, and love.  Just Pray. 

10. When dining out, bring a bag or purse with toys or busy bags.  Preferably toys they don't normally get to play with.  This way, they are excited about the toys and distracted at the table while you wait for your food.  Maybe, if you're lucky, you will actually get to relax and enjoy your dining out experience!

I hope you enjoyed my ten tricks of the trade.  Let me know if there are others you would add to this list.  I love new tips and tricks!  Please remember, if (and when) you have a hard day, know that you are not alone.  Take a break, pray, have a cookie...remember that tomorrow is a new day! 


"The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."  Lamentations 3:22-23

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a mother, but being a former nanny, I know that #5 works very well! On the way to nap time (which was always a struggle), I often asked one of the little girls I nannied "Do you want to walk or do you want me to carry you?" It worked wonders once I learned that trick!

    ReplyDelete