Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Birthdays are a Blessing

We are celebrating two family birthdays this month, my son Elijah will turn 1(already!) on November 18th and I will turn 27 on November 21st -that's right, birthday buddies:)  I LOVE celebrating my kiddos birthdays (in fact, I will have another post on Elijah's first birthday soon!)!!

But I must say that for the past few years birthdays had begun to feel a little lackluster to me.  Once you're an adult, they just don't seem that special or important, and can sometimes feel downright depressing.  But my mind has been changed on this matter.  I now consider birthdays to be an absolute blessing, no matter how old you are turning. 

Last year on my birthday, I woke up at about 9:30 pm struggling to breathe.  Matt took me to the emergency room, where we later found out that I was suffering from Post partum cardiomyopathy, which had led to congestive heart failure.  My husband and 3 day old son spent the night in the ER and we soon learned that I had saved my own life by going into the hospital that night.  It has been a slow but steady recovery since then, and I am so grateful to be writing this post one year later.  There is a lot more to this story and perhaps I will share it all with you sometime, but for now just know that it has been a life-changing experience. 

Although this experience has been incredibly terrifying and trying, it has also helped me to appreciate the days I have been given and really see what is important in life.  I have learned that I can't plan out my life exactly how I want it to go-life is messy and full of surprises.  Life is also a blessing.  I am so happy that I've been able to spend yet another year with my amazing husband, my adorable daughter, and my sweet son.  I know that God is not finished with me yet, and I am so excited to see where this adventure takes us next! 

May you enjoy every birthday you have and celebrate the life you were given.  You are here for a reason.  You are loved and cherished.  You are 'fearfully and wonderfully made'.  Psalm 139:14




Cheers to Birthdays! 

No comments:

Post a Comment