Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

Baby Steps

Well, we've been busy around here.  Lots of things going on, but one particularly exciting thing happened on Monday evening-Elijah took his first step!  It was so sweet too.  He was walking into Daddy's arms-and so very proud of himself as he did it!  We are so proud of our baby boy, who soon turns one and is getting so big so fast. 

Elijah at 2 1/2 weeks old

Learning to walk with his toy (aug '12)

10 months old and almost ready to walk!
I was looking back at a picture taken of him at 2 1/2 weeks old-it's just amazing to me that only 10 months later, those tiny feet are supporting him and learning how to walk.  Crazy, isn't it?  It got me to thinking that it's a good thing we learn to walk when we are little.  Elijah doesn't care how many times he falls down, he just keeps trying and trying.  That perseverance is so critical to learning new things.  I'm pretty sure that if we had to learn to walk as adults, we'd all be crawling around because we gave up after one or two tries.  I'm just so impressed with a baby's ability to try, try again.  Elijah has been a very cautious baby, but slowly, he's learning to trust himself enough to take a step on his own.  It's been baby steps though (no pun intended!)-First he learned to roll over, then roll around, then crawl, then stand, then walk while holding onto things, and now finally, he's trying it on his own.    

I've decided that I'm going to use this motivation from my 10 month old and try to learn something new too!  My very patient and sweet husband has tried several times to teach me how to play piano, and this time, I'm determined to learn it!  I played as a child, but as an adult it's proved much more difficult.  It's harder to find time to practice, harder to remember things, harder to tell myself 'just try again!'.  But no more excuses-this is happening!  I'm not promising anything amazing.  I would just like to be able to play chords so that I can play music with Matt while he plays guitar.  I just need to remember-baby steps! 

Let me know if you are learning something new-we can encourage each other:)

No comments:

Post a Comment